Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Human Weapon

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Matt
    I've been most impressed with these guys attitudes. I figured it was going to be "I'm an American badass and I'm gonna pick up this system with no problem and kick the champion's butt"

what I've seen so far is two guys who are out to learn a "little something" about other martial arts, to get a small taste, and come away with a genuine life experience. they've been extremely polite and attentive and very respectful to the teachers.

I was tickled pink to see them wearing white belts in the karate episode. I don't care if you've got a 10th degree in 8 different MAs, if you're visiting someplace that you are going to be a student, and you have no rank there, the white belt goes on. KUDOS to them!!!
    Definitely amazed by their humbleness; even after Bill Duff drew the champion/former champion Kyokushin and Savate heavyweights to a draw, he emphasized how great and strong his opponents was and how difficult it was for him.
    Ossu,
    Jack Peterson

Likes (received)

I'm a bit surprised that no one here was bothered by the fact that their belts were not tied properly for most of the karate show.

I am also surprised that no one has mentioned that Duff is a brown belt in an unknown Korean-named (apparently) American martial art. I am not critical of that at all; I am just surprised that no one here has mentioned his lack of qualifications to be on this show.

Overall I like the show for what it is intended to be, but Duff is a big, dull dude who doesn't do so well on camera. I am amazed that they couldn't find someone more experienced and dynamic in front of a camera.

By the way, I would not say the karate match was a draw. Duff was pummeled; it only went to overtime so they could watch the entertaining spectacle of the big round-eye being used as a punching bag. He landed about one strike for every two his opponent landed - what about all of those unanswered leg kicks, and the illegal blow to the face that the karateka took without hardly even blinking?

Duff can obviously take a punch though.

Jeff Cook

Likes (received)

I'm a bit surprised that no one here was bothered by the fact that their belts were not tied properly for most of the karate show.
    Are there a few ways of doing this?

They were in front of some pretty high-ranking teachers that I'm sure would have said something before getting on camera with them if their belts were wonky.

Overall I like the show for what it is intended to be, but Duff is a big, dull dude who doesn't do so well on camera
    I kind of like his bumbling everyman vibe. Chambers picks things up quickly and Duff seems to struggle but keeps at it and chugs along. It's interesting that the two hosts are so different in build and, it seems, learning style. Chambers seems to ask questions and pay attention to which hand or foot is doing what. Duff just dives in and plods along. I've found him to be an interesting foil to Chambers.

He landed about one strike for every two his opponent landed - what about all of those unanswered leg kicks, and the illegal blow to the face that the karateka took without hardly even blinking?
    The biggest issue with the show is the fights, which is a problem because I think that is supposed to be the hook. The "champions" can obviously clean the clocks of these two guys in their styles, which either leads to watered-down exhibitions or Chambers and Duff deviating from the "style" just to keep from getting pummeled. (Chambers has done this a bit already.)

I really enjoy the training and history portions of the show; I could do without the big confrontation at the end, though.

Judo is this Friday, so that should be really interesting.

Kevin Cantwell

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Cook
    Ya that was the first thing I noticed when they first put on the uniform, but looking at the big picture the show was done well. My sensei would have shouted at me to go back in the changing room though haha.

I am also surprised that no one has mentioned that Duff is a brown belt in an unknown Korean-named (apparently) American martial art. I am not critical of that at all; I am just surprised that no one here has mentioned his lack of qualifications to be on this show.

Overall I like the show for what it is intended to be, but Duff is a big, dull dude who doesn't do so well on camera. I am amazed that they couldn't find someone more experienced and dynamic in front of a camera.
    I think it is better for them to not have high qualifications in any specific art. This not only keeps them humble, this allows them to get some exposure to many arts without comparing (my art does this better anyways) or reverting to their own style (though Jason did this in the Savate episode once).

By the way, I would not say the karate match was a draw. Duff was pummeled; it only went to overtime so they could watch the entertaining spectacle of the big round-eye being used as a punching bag. He landed about one strike for every two his opponent landed - what about all of those unanswered leg kicks, and the illegal blow to the face that the karateka took without hardly even blinking?
    Alright, I didn't want to start a flame war so I didn't mention this, but that match, along with the savate one, was disapointing. Of course they were not serious matches and they were going easy on them, but it was clear that both the kyokushin heavyweight and the savate heavyweight were not 100% in control of the fight, and at their level I believe they should have been able to dodge, block and counter every shot. I'm not saying they should bully and pummel them down, but at least dodging and blocking them to control the situation more would have been nice to see. Maybe they just felt lack of motivation or they felt that going against Duff, was like having them match a five year old... but still, once they got some feeling like "this guy can take it" they should have stepped it up a little. The judges all called it a draw, and to be honest if a 3/4 dan in my dojo or a former champion from my savate gym got a draw with some random big guy, I wouldn't use "well he was really big and strong" as an excuse, I would honestly be embarrassed.[/QUOTE]
    Ossu,
    Jack Peterson

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Iai-nut
    Beg pardon, but is e-budo moderator Jason Chambers the same person in these shows... or is it just coincidence?
    Not the same person nor are they related.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

Judo episode was on last night.

It continues the same pattern, an overview of the history, including the combat background, as well as a variety of schools.

The fight at the end actually appeared to be the most realistic of all of them. The host would try the moves, actually do them very well, but was effectively countered every time. And given the MMA background, I felt he actually had a chance on this one!
    Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Likes (received)

I did a quite a bit of consulting for the judo show (a few others too,) which I have yet to see. The report from the producer was they needed to edit the fights to make it look better than it was. It seems the "hosts" have not been overly impressed with everything they have done up to this point. It sounded as if both hosts knew the judo men were going easy on them. They both left Japan with a huge respect for judo, both standing and on the ground.

I am looking forward to seeing this episode. I know the producers I dealt with, wanted to balance accurate history and examples of the combative in question, with the mass appeal the History channel was requesting. In addition, none of the three fellows knew anything about this field prior to getting assigned these shows.

I will be honest, I know very little about Savate and enjoyed the show. I understand in all the shows there will be stuff that is goofy. Nevertheless, I feel so far they have made at least a honest effort.

Aaron Fields
    Seattle Jujutsu Club, Hatake Dojo
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Iai-nut
    Beg pardon, but is e-budo moderator Jason Chambers the same person in these shows... or is it just coincidence?
    Nope. This young feller has way more hair than me. I am a great deal sexier then he and should have been tapped for the part... if they just needed a guy named Jason Chambers. Oh well. I guess I have better things to do with my name and time.

BTW, George... all us Chambers folk are kin. We have our own county (and creek) in Texas and OWN Chambersburg, PA.

MU HU HA HAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Last night's show was a bit better than the others.
    Jason Chambers
    Owner,
    Tatsujin Photography & Design

Likes (received)

So far I have enjoyed the series.
    George Kohler

Genbukan Kusakage dojo
    Dojo-cho

Likes (received)

I have enjoyed the series. I think that they are doing a good job, overall. After all it does have to have commercial appeal for TV. So far my favorites have been the Mauy Thai, Karate and Judo episodes.

I will continue to watch this program. And I am actually looking forward to seeing it every Friday night ( Idon't get out much :-) )

Jose Garrido
    Jose' delCristo Garrido
    Daito-ryu Aikijujutsu Mainline Tradition
    NYC Metro Area Branch Dojo
    facebook.com/daitoryudojonj

Likes (received)

I've enjoyed the show overall, my gf and I usually watch it together. The judo show was the best yet, but I have one question...

HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE MEIJI????

Best,
    Ron

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Tisdale
    HOW DO YOU PRONOUNCE MEIJI????

Best,
    Ron
    Thank god ! Finally somebody has the cajones to pop this question
    Prince Loeffler
    Shugyokan Dojo

Likes (received)

What about the paired swords know as "deesho"?

I thought the judo episode was terrible..worst yet..

Its too bad they wasted Aaron's talents and produced that..
    Jeremy Hulley
    Shinto Ryu Iai Batto Jutsu
    TNBBC

Likes (received)

I just got a chance to watch the judo episode last night. I really enjoyed it-- getting to see inside some famous judo dojo was interesting, and I especially enjoyed the chance to get a peek into a Takenouchi Ryu dojo. Their judo history stuff was... well, I felt a bit incomplete, especially when it came to koryu. But then again, that's about what I would expect.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Hey! I just watched the Karate episode again tonight, I played it for my class. I suddenly went wierd on them and played back a couple of scenes a couple of times and kept going, 'that's him, I know it's him!' In the one on one training when they were working with Higa Sensei, there was another black belt there. It was Morinobu Maeshiro, a 9th Dan in Shidokan. I remember being totally blown away by how gentle his blocks were, deflecting my punches while I hardly felt them! I have an awesome picture of him.

Respectfully
    Mark W. Swarthout, Shodan

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast