Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Fokuoka style NIR bokken?!

Likes (received)

Default Fokuoka style NIR bokken?!

Hi All!
    I recently heard something about a type of NIR bokken that ist not in use anymore(afaik). Its called the fukuoka style niten ichi ryu bokken. Its straighter than the typical ones and has a rounded tip. Has anyone more information about this?
    Regards
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Other than the standard NIR bokken and the "oar-shaped" suburito, and I haven't seen other references to a different bokken for NIR.

Here's a link to a site that sells "style-specific" bokken, though, if it's any help.

http://bokkenshop.com/eng/style.html
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by sven beulke
    Hi All!
    I recently heard something about a type of NIR bokken that ist not in use anymore(afaik). Its called the fukuoka style niten ichi ryu bokken. Its straighter than the typical ones and has a rounded tip. Has anyone more information about this?
    Regards
    I have one. The Fukuoka Han bokuto is of similar shape to ours but is overall far more rounded rather than having an edge to it.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hyaku
    I have one. The Fukuoka Han bokuto is of similar shape to ours but is overall far more rounded rather than having an edge to it.
    If I could ask a question while we are on the subject of HNIR in different parts of Japan: Was HNIR confined to one province in the Edo-period or were there branch-dojos even back then?
    Fredrik Hall
    "To study and not think is a waste. To think and not study is dangerous." /Confucius

Likes (received)

Normaly a ryu ha would be confined to one dojo, at least ine the Edo period. If you wanted to open another dojo after your menkyo kaiden you usualy founded a new ryu or got the permission to found a new ha (kind of a variation on the same theme, like what Sugino kind of did with TSKSR, although I think he didn't had permission...). There were rules prohibiting a ryu to have many ramifications, for the simple reason that a group of armed professional could become very dangerous to the governement if it expanded without control.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Max Chouinard
    ... (kind of a variation on the same theme, like what Sugino kind of did with TSKSR, although I think he didn't had permission...).
    ...come on guy! Everytime the same stupid things. Have you ever studied under Sugino Sensei or are you in contact with people who have a little bit more informations about your "thinking"?

Regards,
    Michael Reinhardt

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cron
    ...come on guy! Everytime the same stupid things. Have you ever studied under Sugino Sensei or are you in contact with people who have a little bit more informations about your "thinking"?

Regards,
    I have heard about this several times. Can you point me to a place I can find out more information about the Sugino branch of TSKSR and its relation to the Otake's branch? I know the basic facts, but concerning why there is a difference in technique/interpretation and if the two branches are on friendly terms with each other etc...

Also, I've always wondered this, but why doesn't the Soke of the school teach anymore? Has there been a full transmission of knowledge of TSKSR to the head instructors? Or is there more components of TSKSR that only the Soke can know?
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

Hyaku/Mods,

The question of the soke's teachings in TSKSR is an interesting one, but can we get this part of the thread split from the original question please?
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Err... I'm actually meeting up with Mr. Yukihiro Sugino tomorrow evening...talk about a coincidence.

Anyway I did not meant to open up a can of worms and certainly don't want to discuss of politics of a ryu ha which I don't practice.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by hyaku
    Hi Hyaku!
    Thanks for your replie. Do you have more information about the story behind these NIR bokken?
    Thanks!
    Sven Beulke
    sven@bugei.org
    Bremen, Germany

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottUK
    Hyaku/Mods,

The question of the soke's teachings in TSKSR is an interesting one, but can we get this part of the thread split from the original question please?
    Dunno about you, I'm scared to ask now that I've tried asking questions in the forums. I'll probably get shot down for disrespect or something
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nii
    Dunno about you, I'm scared to ask now that I've tried asking questions in the forums. I'll probably get shot down for disrespect or something
    If it's a respectful question, and placed in the proper forum, the you needn't worry about getting "shot down."

What is frowned upon, however, is coming into a thread about Nitten Ichi Ryu in general, and a NIR bokken in particular, and hijacking the thread to press a political agenda involving a completely different ryu.

Please take questions about TSKSR to a TSKSR thread.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

I was referring to Scott's suggestion that the question be broken into a new different thread, not hijacking an old thread.
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

Hi Nii,

Not at all, it is just that the TSKSR Otake/Sugino legitimacy thing has been done to death. We all like to talk koryu, but some things have just been overdone.

Please feel free to ask anything in the appropriate thread. This one is appropriate in regards to HNIR bokuto questions. If there is no appropriate thread, please start one.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Overdone, yes. But not kept up to date. Regardless, I'll keep that topic out of this thread for the time being.
    -John Nguyen

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast