Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Yamabushi Ryu

Likes (received)

Default Yamabushi Ryu

http://www.yrjj.net/firstpage.htm

What the %#&! is "Yamabushi Ryu"? Apparently it's a school of "Nien/Nein? Jitsu"(I just answered my own question, yes I know), but what the hell is "Nien/Nein Jitsu? On their website it says that it's a blend of Ju Jutsu, Kick boxing and traditional Kuuurootee weapons.

After years of training in this Nien stuff, when you reach some sort of higher enlightened level, you start learning the Holy arts of Kenjutsu, Iaijutsu and "Tameshigiri Techniques" from an other modern self invented style.

To add more, what does Pegasus have to do with Yamabushi and the stuff they supposedly practice? and what on earth are those funky Kanji looking characters? Why is there a Torii 'INSIDE' the dojo? http://www.yrjj.net/upcomingsems.htm WHY? WHY? WHY?!
    Tom Karazozis
    -Kanshiketsu!

Likes (received)

Sorry! I posted this in the wrong forum. Please feel free to move this to the Baffling forum. Thank you.
    Tom Karazozis
    -Kanshiketsu!

Likes (received)

Quite an informative topic name, if I may say so =)
    -John Nguyen

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Nii View Post
    Quite an informative topic name, if I may say so =)
    Well, if you want a more informative or detailed title for this subject, It would be my pleasure to provide you with one, just ask =).
    Tom Karazozis
    -Kanshiketsu!

Likes (received)

Default What a joke!

Well Tom you found us a nice little jewel here.

All I can say so far on this one is that this is what you get when you mix the following ingredients.

#1 Self proclaimed in a home made ryu. This amounts to the pictures and techniques we see in the videos they have on their website what the heck was he hacking at?

#2 Total Cheap taste and lack of knowledge in general. This will come out usually in making funky names using bunch of known Japanese words or expressions that look cool but that Japanese either would never use out of knowledge of their own language being the context in which to use the Kanji or expression. Anyway what kind of fools would think that using such crappy kanji that look as if they had been made by ha kid whit his Spiro graph at Christmas.

#3 In order to make themselves look somehow legit they will invite all kinds of other fools with other made up ryu to be able to baffle other into thinking they are doing something real.

Anyhow my beef here is that all those fools want to be and look special but they lack any kind of real knowledge or understanding of Japanese culture and language so this is hwy their dojo as far as naming decoration etc will usually be of very bad taste. They will use anything that they think looks cool and use it and then the other fools that they link themselves will also fail to correct this stuff afterwards this goes on to show that they do not know much about tradition as well.
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo

Likes (received)

Am I the only one who doesn't think this is that bad? Sure, the decor/style is a bit tacky, but it seems to be a result of honest enthusiasm. The teacher seems above board on his background and what he teaches, and rather than just grab a sword and make up a bunch of "kata", he appears to be seeking qualified help in bringing Japanese sword into his system. James Williams, AFAIK, is quite esteemed in JSA circles. I dunno, there are certainly lots of things to point at and laugh at, but OTOH it seems...honest. Like this is the result of the teacher's personal shugyo. On the scale of shugyo, it's not exactly up there with Tsukahara Bokuden, but it doesn't seem to be doing any harm.

Now, if one wants bad kanji, dodgy "Japanese", and a history fishy as all get-out, check out this site.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, onne he t gue gengan ence longsumne lof, na ymb his lif ceara. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reyer View Post
    Am I the only one who doesn't think this is that bad?
    Well, to tell you the truth, only you can answer that question.

The teacher seems above board on his background and what he teaches, and rather than just grab a sword and make up a bunch of "kata", he appears to be seeking qualified help in bringing Japanese sword into his system.
    What backround? Yamabushi ryu, Nien jutsu? Sorry, doesn't exist in Japan.
    As for 'Japanese Sword', well, again, only you can find out for your self.

James Williams, AFAIK, is quite esteemed in JSA circles
    For a modern interpretation of Japanese sword arts, maybe he is known in the states, but not in Japan.

On the scale of shugyo, it's not exactly up there with Tsukahara Bokuden
    What shugyo? and what does this have to do with Tsukahara Bokuden?

Now, if one wants bad kanji, dodgy "Japanese", and a history fishy as all get-out, check out this site.
    Yes, I agree, It is bad writing, but you can make out the Kanji and actually read it. The other ones aren't even Kanji.
    Tom Karazozis
    -Kanshiketsu!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Karazozis View Post
    Well, to tell you the truth, only you can answer that question.
    Actually, no. I need other people to tell me what they think.

What backround? Yamabushi ryu, Nien jutsu? Sorry, doesn't exist in Japan.
    As for 'Japanese Sword', well, again, only you can find out for your self.
    I'm aware of that. And guess what, he never says that it does! Never even implies it! All he's done is give his synthesized art a somewhat goofy name.

For a modern interpretation of Japanese sword arts, maybe he is known in the states, but not in Japan.
    And your point is? What's your criteria of being "known in Japan"? Donn Draeger was certainly known in Japan. Many of the luminaries on the boards here: not so much, outside of their own particular circles. Heck, the vast majority of the Japanese aikido population don't know the major Japanese shihan teaching abroad.

Yes, I agree, It is bad writing, but you can make out the Kanji and actually read it. The other ones aren't even Kanji.
    No, you can't read it, because the only "word" that makes sense is "Shinto". Everything else is made-up garbage. Karato? WTF?

Look, I'm not saying that this "Yamabushi-ryu" is top-end martial arts, nor that they have a refined grasp of Japanese culture. All I'm saying is my impression from their website is that in a world of self-proclaimed "grandmasters" and "soke", of fraudulent "koryu" and "aikijutsu", of McDojo karate-ka grabbing an aluminum katana and whipping it around like in a kung-fu movie, and taekwondo guys grabbing Okinawan weapons and teaching "ninjitsu", this place has a kind of refreshing honesty. It's a couple guys with an interest in martial arts and a decade or so in different local American dojo passing on what they've learned in their neighborhood. And it certainly looks like they're trying to improve on what they do, with qualified help. My point is, maybe (probably) what they do is crap, but if so, it's honest crap. And I'd rather see honest crap than something false and effective, like "Kaze Arashi Ryu." But that's just me. I really didn't mean to spoil your fun.
    Josh Reyer

Swa sceal man don, onne he t gue gengan ence longsumne lof, na ymb his lif ceara. - The Beowulf Poet

Likes (received)

I have to agree with Mr. Reyer. I could see nothing that made me believe that they were professing to be the only remaining teachers of a long thought lost Japanese art that was only taught to the Emporer's wet-nurses' second-cousins (twice removed). I have a lot more respect for them, than for say a "school of Bushido" that was founded in 1129 by General Taisho Matsumoto of Kyushu, whose descendant brought the art to Canada, taught only one student, returned to Japan, and then later adopted said student (by letter sent to the embassy that was written in "ancient Japanese and took university professors 1 year to translate"- which is actually a sad sign of Japan's declining education system as my wife and I read the letter fairly easily).

I see that many of the posters in this thread are located in Japan, or have spent some time living in Japan. I think that we should remember that not everyone is able to come and train in Japan, no matter how much they may want to. They have to make do with what they have, and those that don't try to hide that under a layer of lies are alright in my book.

But, like Mr. Reyer, that's just me, and I really didn't mean to spoil your fun, either.
    Last edited by Kachimushi; 2nd November 2007 at 00:55.
    Paul Gilchrist
    Invictus Maneo

Samurai Jack Guest

I think Tom Karazozis has a legitimate concern base on the website. He makes some remarks I feel raise red flags. I looked at the website and there are other things that raise red flags. All of which points to question is this for real? It does make me wonder. I think all schools should be looked at seriously with a critical eye. That is just good sense. If you don't think the school is for real then it isn't for you, and possibly others. If you find they are for real, you partake and share the news. A public discussion helps determine for others to support it or not in the martial arts community.

A school like this which puts its self together as it has, does raise legitmate eyebrowns, and discussion about it. If a school is going public, like a public figure, it should be discussed, and it will be attacked if it doesn't look correct. The onus is on the school, and not on the individual who raises concerns about it being for real, regardless of the motive of the individual. FWIW.
    Last edited by Samurai Jack; 2nd November 2007 at 03:34. Reason: expanded thought

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    I think Tom Karazozis has a legitimate concern base on the website. He makes some remarks I feel raise red flags. I looked at the website and there are other things that raise red flags. All of which points to question is this for re al?
    Admittedly, I didn't comb through all of the site, so maybe I missed something. What was it in particular that you all felt raised some red flags?
    Paul Gilchrist
    Invictus Maneo

Likes (received)

This may be a case of player-haterism. Have you seen their dojo? I think I hate them too... wow... http://www.riveroflifecenter.net/dojogallery.htm
    --Neil Melancon--

Likes (received)

All I needed to see was "...I studied Nin Jitsu under Fank Dux..." That was enough of a red flag for me
    Edward Koschmider

Likes (received)

Well, the aikido section of the site is quite respectable, since the dojo is affiliated with the ASU, with links doing directly back to the founder of aikido. The iaido, too, seems OK, since the teacher in Japan is Mitsuzuka Sensei. I have met James Williams, who also appears on the site, and recollect that he appeared at Stanley Pranin's Aiki Expo on at least one occasion.

So the only question remaining for me is the provenance of Yamabushi-ryu. The Chinese characters admittedly look strange, but I would also like to hear more about the red flags.

By the way, the E-Budo rules were revised quite recently and Rule 3 requires that a thread should have an informative title. This is especially important in the Baffling Budo forum.

Best regards to all.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by EddieK View Post
    All I needed to see was "...I studied Nin Jitsu under Fank Dux..." That was enough of a red flag for me
    We all make mistakes. Anything else?
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast