Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: James Williams cutting festival!

Likes (received)

Default James Williams cutting festival!

What the heck does he think he is doing or what the heck is he trying to prove?

Just looks like a bad TV commercial for Ginsu knives.

Does he need to be on T.V that bad and demsontrate stupid stuff of this kind to attract gullable idiots to learn his made up Classical school?

Truly the grandmaster of bad taste.

Anyway enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maobVzB57T0
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo

Likes (received)

Default egg

The technique where he cuts the top off the boiled egg was taught to me by my mum - but she used a spoon and then the follow up manoever of spreading butter across toast.
    Simon Keegan 4th Dan
    www.bushinkai.org.uk

Likes (received)

Sadly, this reminds me of the ninjer boy who liked to cut sides of beef up. Budo? I don't think so.
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ScottUK View Post
    Sadly, this reminds me of the ninjer boy who liked to cut sides of beef up. Budo? I don't think so.
    But then again you will get all his minions jumping in saying the following... But e is a great guy and very respected and knowledgable.

Based on what?

Most people the will take this stance dont even have a clue themsleves what true classical Budo is anyway. They just assume that he is knowledgable and respected because his website looks good, he does fancymoves and cuts big rolls and was on discovery channel a couple of times. So for the common guy which in this case I would call functional retards this equates to be knowledgable and respected.

Anyway this last video trulty shows how freakin classical he is.
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo

Likes (received)

Not to say it was bad cutting, j(if you are into that sort of thing,) just to say that a machete' and a guy who knows how to use one can do the same. Or, ask the anybody across the line from a Gurkha how those little knives worked. All in all, I will take the machete', it fits my blue collar nature and I don't need to dress so snazzy.

Aaron Fields
    Seattle Jujutsu Club
    Sea-Town Cambo
    www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Likes (received)

Hehe Aaron you have no idea how cool us armed transvestites are...
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Likes (received)

What is even more disturbing is the fact that all he talks about when on Video or Online is that he teaches classical martial arts and you will hear him on mutliple occasions saying that samurai used to be like this and like that and that blablabla from a classical perspective it is like this and like that.

Classical what? Classical nothing!

If he had 2 cents worth of any lassical Japanese Budo education he would never go on T.V this way and hack pieces of pork and a fish clearly showing hat he has no respect for life itself and wasting what was valuable as food. Even if the food was already rotten it would still be display of bad taste that would enver be acceptable under any crcumsances when talkin about Koryu.

So lets say it was to do tests. Test what? Prove what? Save lives or uncover some real valuable secrets that will change history hell no! al this was is the usual wow cool type of !!!!!!!!.

I already did not have much respect for his commercial gimmick and self promotion but now all I have to say is that he sank at the bottom of the barrel with this one.
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo

Likes (received)

Scott,

As a guy who rolls around on a mat, as well as practices a koryu, you are right, I have no idea how cool them folks think they are.

It seems you and I don't take ourselves overly serious. Which rings true, no matter if you are doing zoo zitsu or koryu. Folks want to talk about how different they are, when in truth I learned as much if not more about "the budo" mindset doing my day job and playing lacrosse than I ever have from any wearing PJ's trying to choke someone or take my eye out with a sharp pointy things.

As far as cross-dressing goes, I ain't gonna knock what I haven't tried.

Regards,
    Aaron Fields

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by roninseb View Post
    What the heck does he think he is doing or what the heck is he trying to prove?
    What he was doing was responding to an invitation by a TV program for a follow-up, since they -- the TV people -- weren't convinced that cutting wet tatami omote really is an accurate simulation of cutting through a person.

Using pigs for such tests has a long history, since they are anatomically very similar to humans. The US Army did similar tests in the late 1800s and early 1900s when developing small arms rounds.

I don't think he was trying to prove anything; merely demonstrating what he already knows to be true but that many in the viewing public may not.

"Classical"? No, but I doubt that the TV show's producers would have let him cut a human cadaver like they did in the good old days.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    What he was doing was responding to an invitation by a TV program for a follow-up, since they -- the TV people -- weren't convinced that cutting wet tatami omote really is an accurate simulation of cutting through a person.

Using pigs for such tests has a long history, since they are anatomically very similar to humans. The US Army did similar tests in the late 1800s and early 1900s when developing small arms rounds.

I don't think he was trying to prove anything; merely demonstrating what he already knows to be true but that many in the viewing public may not.

"Classical"? No, but I doubt that the TV show's producers would have let him cut a human cadaver like they did in the good old days.
    So this means that because he was invited he needs to go and make a fool of himself by cutting pigs ad salmon and eggs to prove what ? Again your point does not make sense or does not even come close in justifiying such idiotic behavior that will just lower Japanese koryu to a martial art circus to satisfy the need of seeing cool stuff on T.V of the common idiot.
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo

Likes (received)

Again your point does not make sense or does not even come close in justifiying such idiotic behavior that will just lower Japanese koryu to a martial art circus to satisfy the need of seeing cool stuff on T.V of the common idiot.
    I don't think this statement is entirely true. What James Williams does has nothing to do with the koryu, and thus has no reflection on it at all. It may make the ordinary run of people think that this is what we all do, but that has no bearing on me or my practice. Let them think whatever they want.

If Mr. Williams wants to make his practice about entertainment and mipressing others, I really don't care. My practice is for me so what he does, no matter how ridiculous I might think it is, has no bearing on what I do.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    I don't think this statement is entirely true. What James Williams does has nothing to do with the koryu, and thus has no reflection on it at all. It may make the ordinary run of people think that this is what we all do, but that has no bearing on me or my practice. Let them think whatever they want.

If Mr. Williams wants to make his practice about entertainment and mipressing others, I really don't care. My practice is for me so what he does, no matter how ridiculous I might think it is, has no bearing on what I do.
    I do agree with on mostly. But James williams claims and presents himself as a Koryu/Classical martial arts teacher and likes to play with words to make it look as so.
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo

Likes (received)

Thread moved to the Members' Lounge.
    Peter Goldsbury,
    Forum Administrator,
    Hiroshima, Japan

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by P Goldsbury View Post
    Thread moved to the Members' Lounge.
    Why move this thread from the baffling Budo up to the members lounge?

If it was any other guy out there showing off and cutting meat, fish etc... it would have stayed in the baffling section. So just because its James Williams it has to be moved? I feel that this is very biased and shows that not all case are treated in a fair manner by your move that implies that you somehow approve of this display of bad taste. What we see in this video is just complete garbage that would not be tolerated in any Koryu and will only serve to degrade Japanese sword arts to a media circus to just show cool stuff.
    Sebastien Cyr 義真
    春風館道場
    Shunpukan Dojo

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by roninseb View Post
    Why move this thread from the baffling Budo up to the members lounge?

Because Peter is the moderator, and he said so.

Really.

Otherwise, I suggest that you look here:

Baffling Budo Forum
    This forum is a clearing house for questions about claims or individuals that appear to be unusual or bizarre. Budo beginners, for example, or experienced budoka moving to other areas or other arts sometimes encounter schools and individuals that seem to be unusual. In such cases it is reasonable to ask questions here, for there is a vast amount of collective experience, knowledge & wisdom among the 25,000 members of E-Budo. It is quite possible that the claims or individuals will turn out not to be bizarre at all. If so, such threads will be moved to other parts of the E-Budo forum, or removed altogether. Sometimes no further information is posted and so the threads will remain in Baffling Budo.
    All I can determine is that what James Williams is doing is in what you have determined to be poor taste-the questions of his legitimacy were answered long ago, he's made no "bizarre" claims, though, again, you might find some of the things he says and does to be in poor taste.

In any case, questionable taste or aesthetics do not make "baffling budo," and this has been determined by the moderator to be the appropriate place for this particular discussion.
    Aaron J. Cuffee

As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.
    - H.L. Mencken

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast