Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Solace through budo

Likes (received)

Default Solace through budo

I have found over the last decade that when my life has reached a point of pain, suffering and loss that I have been able to turn to the budo as a place of peace. When all things have ceased to make sense, I have been able to step on the dojo floor and find the comfort and consistency that the remainder of my life is lacking. I have lost loved ones through death or their own accord and I have always continued to train and have found that the training in part was responsible for coming out the other side.

I may not have become a "tough guy" by my training but I have leared a great deal about perseverance and have become a better person as a result.

Any similar experiences?

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

One of the theories of yagle gures (Ottoman/Turkish oiled wrestling) is that it teaches one that strength is important, but balance (both psychological and physical) is the real key to success in the sport.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus View Post

Any similar experiences?
    At one time, in conversation with my father, I credited the particular martial art that I was practicing with a radical turn around in my attitude to life in general, and the improvement of me as a useful member of society.

My Dad's response was to say something to the effect that it was not the martial art, but me- that the martial art was just what I was using to reach the conclusions/ state that I needed to get to, and that my desire to achieve or pursue worth through the martial art was merely symbolic [or symptomatic- I can't recall] of my desire to improve myself/ survive.

I like that, because it is empowering.
    -Michael Fitzgerald.

Likes (received)

Budo brings out strange western philosophy. Things like...

"Train the way you do and you will be going home to your mother in a cardboard box"

"Ther is always someone out there bigger and better than you. Accept that and avoid it".

"Anybody can kill anybody, it's no great shakes. You can train for 40 years and a kid with a handgun can kill you. The real essence of what I believe is to live your life like a man. If your martial art teaches you how to kill and beat people up, then buy a shotgun and a pitbull, you are the toughest guy in your neighborhood"

bud Malmstrom, 10th Dan Bujinkan

Budo philosophy certainly gives you a mindset over others.