Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thin Tsuka vs Thick tsuka

Likes (received)

Default Thin Tsuka vs Thick tsuka

Hi guys,

What is everyones opinion on thinner tsukas vs thicker tsukas, in terms of keeping the cutting angle true? I have found that it is easier to keep my hasuji perfect with a thicker tsuka than a thinner one, but I like the feel of the thin tsuka in my hands. Is there secrets or anything I can keep in mind when using my thinner tsuka for cutting practise? Maybe more tenouchi......?

Kind regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Likes (received)
    Blog Entries

Jeremy, I have four katana that I use on a regular basis, but the size & shape of all the tsuka are virtually identical. The one exception is the tsuka on my tameshigiri sword that is a few inches longer than the others, which helps me control my cutting.

I'm not sure your question has any real applicability. If your hands can be comfortably positioned on a tsuka, hasuji is more a function of correct & consistent location of hands, tenouchi, & of course the path of your swing than anything to do with the tsuka itself, imo.

Do you have a really unusual katana or something?
    Ken Goldstein
    --------------------------------
    Judo Kodansha/MJER Iaido Kodansha/Jodo Oku-iri
    Fencing Master/NRA Instructor

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it'll annoy enough people to be worth the effort."

Likes (received)

In my opinion, tsuka size is more important in matching your hands and grip than in meeting some absolute standard. If you've got big hands, a thicker tsuka is going to better than if you've got tiny ones.
    Kent Enfield
    Kentokuseisei

Likes (received)

Thats what I was trying to get across. I am about 6 foot 1 inch tall, and have fairly biggish hands to suit my height. And one of the tsukas on my cutting swords is quite thinner in circumference than one of my other cutting swords. I am not sure if the thinner tsuka is harder for me to keep correct tenouchi all the time as I have bent this sword a couple of times, but never have had bad tenouchi with the thicker tsuka. Is there some sort of way to find out if a tsuka is too thin to use, or should sword practitioners be able to use any shape or thickness of tsuka and still be able to use it properly?

Kind regards,
    Jeremy Hagop

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by jezah81 View Post
    ...Is there some sort of way to find out if a tsuka is too thin to use...
    If it's so thin that you have trouble with tenouchi, then it is too thin for you. That's it.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Approaching the problem in an absolute view, thin or thick is indifferent. As previously said by other fellows, it's the personal approach that makes difference. Is a thicker tsuka than a thinner tsuba better for you? Perfect, that's the way

Likes (received)

You can get one custom made for your hands if you send an outline drawing, otherwise measure up one you like to use, then copy it... Your note suggests you havent been training long, and maybe havent looked at the different shapes/types available... for example I like a waisted tsuka with higo koshirae.
    Standard blades tend to mainly cover Japanese hand sizes, so are usually on the small size for us big guys...
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

I was always told to hold the tsuka with a feeling of gripping the tang inside for correct hasuji
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com