Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Joshi (Judo) Goshin-ho

Likes (received)

Default Joshi (Judo) Goshin-ho

I am looking for any information on the Kodokan Joshi Goshin Ho - Kodokan Methods of Self-Defense for Women to support a paper I am producing.

By means of background, the creation of the Joshi Goshin Ho was ordered by Jiro Nango, the second President of the Kodokan in 1943, and was completed by a technical team of experts within the Institute. The kata, though officially recognized by the Kodokan, has never gained great popularity, not in Japan and even less so abroad, and it is usually omitted from lists of kata or from judo textbooks

Joshi Goshin Ho is designed specifically for the female and takes into account the types of attacks of which females usually are the victim. It includes a number of escapes from holds and grabs, some basic striking techniques, and one throw

I am familiar with the treatment of the kata in Fukuda's "Born for the Mat" and also with the presentation in "The Kata of Kodokan Judo" by Kotani, Hirose and Osawa.

Many thanks....
    Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)

Likes (received)

Interesting project. I have one of the original Kodokan 'Joshi Goshinho' books, forward by Vice Admiral Nango Jiro, nephew of Kano shihan, and the second head of the Kodokan.

And, I practice it under one of the few senior deshi of Umezu sensei, the top practioner left in Japan.
    Lance Gatling ガトリング
    Tokyo 東京

Long as we're making up titles, call me 'The Duke of Earl'

Likes (received)

You may want to contact one of the senior students at the Joshi Judo dojo in San Francisco. Keiko Fukuda, who wrote "Ju-no-Kata", founded the dojo and is still active at 96! As a 9th dan, she is the highest-ranking woman in judo history and also the last surviving personal student of Jigoro Kano. I expect it may asking too much to speak directly with her, however one of her senior students may have some useful information.

Keiko Fukuda began her training under Kano at the Kodokan in Tokyo in 1935, at the behest of her grandfather, Hachinosuke Fukuda, who'd once taught Kano in Tenshin Shinyo. Kano made an exception for her, out of respect for his old sensei, and began allowing women to train at the Kodokan.
    http://www.joshijudo.org/

http://judoinfo.com/fukuda.htm

Jarret Cooper
    Kaikan Dojo, San Francisco

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Gatling View Post
    Interesting project. I have one of the original Kodokan 'Joshi Goshinho' books, forward by Vice Admiral Nango Jiro, nephew of Kano shihan, and the second head of the Kodokan.

And, I practice it under one of the few senior deshi of Umezu sensei, the top practioner left in Japan.
    Is the standard in you original book the same as what features in Ito-sensei's book? I understand that Joshi Goshin Ho described by Ito-sensei is a little different to that in the texts by Fukuda and the one by Kotani et al...
    Dr Llyr C Jones (ジョーンズ)