Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Forza Martial Arts

Likes (received)

Default Forza Martial Arts

Anyone heard of this?
    http://www.powerstrike.com/prog/forza.html

Was channel shopping and ran across this instructor teaching Martha Stewart some of the basics. My apologies if this has been discussed previously.

Steven
    Steven Miranda
    Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento
    http://www.seikeikan.com

Likes (received)

I am sure I have seen it some place. But it's nothing to discuss, its a sales gimmick in the fitness world.
    Steffen Gjerding
    Kakudokan dojo

Yup, lousy english

Likes (received)

She looks like a dude. I have a feeling she didn't get ripped like that swinging swords...
    Christopher Covington

Daito-ryu aikijujutsu
    Kashima Shinden Jikishinkage-ryu heiho

All views expressed here are my own and don't necessarily represent the views of the arts I practice, the teachers and people I train with or any dojo I train in.

Likes (received)

I actually tried a forza class once, just to see what it was. In my opinion, anyone practising a Japanese sword art is better off doing suburi and anyone not practising one is better off doing something else.
    TSKSR - Kakudokan Kristiansand
    Kendo - Kristiansand Kendoklubb

Likes (received)

Forza is NOT a martial art, nor is it intended to be. It is the sword equivalent of "cardio kick-boxing". It's just another way to try and get people to enjoy torturing themselves by working out.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

I do like some of the sales pitch though...

FORZA INTENSIVE (M-1) is designed to set the foundation for anyone interested in learning how to properly use a sword and mastering the correct technique of Japanese Samurai sword fighting.
    Sooo...I obviously have been wasting my time then... mine is obviously incorrect...
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Sooo...I obviously have been wasting my time then... mine is obviously incorrect...
    I've seen pictures of you Tim, maybe you should look into Forza??
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    I've seen pictures of you Tim, maybe you should look into Forza??
    meow!
    Steven Miranda
    Aikido Yoshinkan Sacramento
    http://www.seikeikan.com

Likes (received)

quote:
    FORZA INTENSIVE (M-1) is designed to set the foundation for anyone interested in learning how to properly use a sword and mastering the correct technique of Japanese Samurai sword fighting.

I saw the originator of this workout on Good Morning America once. Got nothing much against people ripping off martial arts to sell a new faddish exercise regime, since it's been done so many times before, but what bugs me are claims like that one above. From what I saw, they did NOT learn how to properly "use a sword" and master the "correct technique of Japanese samurai sword fighting." Their waza looked awful. Bodies were svelte, though. Maybe I should wear more tight spandex too. Hmmm. Maybe not. Might scare away future students. In a bad way.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

Pah! I'll have you know my body is a temple! (admittedly aztec shaped and full of chocolate, but still a temple!)
    Tim Hamilton

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chidokan View Post
    Pah! I'll have you know my body is a temple! (admittedly aztec shaped and full of chocolate, but still a temple!)
    The ideal shape for Sword then!
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Default But, seriously folks...

The one danger I see in all this silliness is also inherent in other cardio vascular activities without proper supervision for the kiddies...But more so because you are swinging a weight-bearing load: repetitive stress injuries. Even in a budo dojo, where form is stressed, this can happen when people try to "force" a movement rather than try to do it right. More so when repetition is the main point of the endeavor, especially when swinging a bokken or sword the wrong way over and over again. In the short run, you might look cut like a young, buff Ah-nold. In the long run, I worry about all the injuries due to stress on the rotator cuff, shoulder, wrists, even knees. Most of what I saw in some videos, even the originator, are NOT cutting properly.

People used to get really pounded when doing aerobics and jumping up and down on hard concrete. I see the same thing happening to shoulders, elbows and wrists doing this. Other than that, it's just another silly form of cosplay brought into aerobics.

Wayne Muromoto

Likes (received)

the sad thing is... you're right...

I have been talking to the physio at work about potential RSI from iaido, as I was pretty convinced you can get it by moving incorrectly, having seen some weird injuries over the years... ( fortunately I have been lucky and not had this...)
    She tells me the human body is not designed for repetitive work and its a good idea to randomise any exercise you do... So, don't do 100 mae in one lesson, but do sets instead and focus on the point of the lesson, which could be, say, timing...
    Tim Hamilton

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by wmuromoto View Post
    ...repetitive stress injuries. ...
    Wayne Muromoto
    You've got to do enough repetition to get stress injuries, most of these aerobics fads don't last long enough and even if they do the participants don't last. About 4 years ago we had 25 pilates classes running in the athletics program at the same time, then it was 25 spinning classes, then hip-hop yoga... The whole industry is fad and fashion based so the danger isn't really RSI, it's acute injuries from insufficient instruction and brainless music-induced mistakes.

Kim.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Kim Taylor View Post
    You've got to do enough repetition to get stress injuries, most of these aerobics fads don't last long enough and even if they do the participants don't last.
    That Forza thing seems to have stuck around for a while now, it pops up here and elsewhere from time to time as somebody else discovers it and gets their panties all in a twist.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast