Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Watatani Kiyoshi... others?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31
    Likes (received)
    2

    Default Watatani Kiyoshi... others?

    Hello every body!

    I have been interested for many years in bud˘ history,I have acquired some sources like the well known bugei ryuha daijiten, and others book from Watatani. But, the fact is I cannot allow myself search only from his books, and as I don't live in Japan and go there only once every two years, it's a bit difficult to collect some copy of scrolls or old administrative documents from japanese libraries and start what real research should be.

    So, until i go back there and take pictures until the very death of my camera, does some one know some authors (I would prefer japanese ones) and books i could check against Watatani's writings? I try to center my studies about kenjustsu/ iaijutsu, but I'm also interested in general koryu history and their creators. That would greatly strengthen my knowledge basis.

    thank you in advance!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31
    Likes (received)
    2

    Default

    what? 44 people read my post and none of them know at least another serious japanese budo historian?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Tokyo, Japan
    Posts
    189
    Likes (received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by durandal View Post
    what? 44 people read my post and none of them know at least another serious japanese budo historian?
    Probably not...

    Unfortunately, many of the top budoka who have lived in Japan and read Japanese, either rarely visit E-Budo.com or no longer post here. The busiest area now seems to the the Shorinji Kempo forum and a lot of the other activity comes from automatic Japan Times RSS feeds it seems.

    For general budo knowledge by noted Japanese historians and martial arts researchers, although dated, the encyclopedic Nihon Budo Zenshu and Nihon Budo Taikei would be good places to start. See which author's writing you enjoy and go from there.

    As for me, I recommend the following individuals. All of them I have met and I have found them extremely knowledgeable and forthcoming:

    Watanabe Ichiro sensei was professor emeritus of budo studies at Tsukuba University, one of the main academic research centers of budo studies, and author of numerous tomes on the subject. He was the most famous scholarly researcher of Japanese martial arts and held in high esteem. He is also listed as an advisor of the Nihon Kobudo Shinkokai and assists them with historical matters. Even Dr. Karl Friday has referred to Watanabe sensei as "the premier scholar of bugei texts in Japan" ( http://tinyurl.com/ya6z6tn ).

    Irie Kohei sensei is Watanabe sensei's successor and currently in charge of budo studies at Tsukuba University. He is, of course, also heavily involved in the research of budo studies and a high ranking teacher of kyudo, which he also teaches at the university.

    Uozumi Takashi sensei who is a professor at International Budo University in Katsuura, Chiba is an excellent researcher in my opinion. His lectures at the annual International Seminar of Budo Culture were always the best in my opinion. He was concise, always stayed on topic, cited everything, and was a pleasure to listen to. That cannot be said about many researchers these days.

    Nakamura Tamio sensei at Fukushima University has also come out with some really well-written works as well. He wrote an excellent series of articles in Gekkan Budo over the last few years. He can get the important facts across, back them up with proper citations, while not sounding verbose. I always take a close look at whatever he has written and find all of them worthwhile to keep in my budo library.

    I hope that helps.

    Regards,

    Ron Beaubien

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31
    Likes (received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Beaubien View Post
    Probably not...

    Unfortunately, many of the top budoka who have lived in Japan and read Japanese, either rarely visit E-Budo.com or no longer post here. The busiest area now seems to the the Shorinji Kempo forum and a lot of the other activity comes from automatic Japan Times RSS feeds it seems.

    [lot of informations]

    Regards,

    Ron Beaubien
    wow! indeed that might help me a lot! thank you very much Ron, i think your help was precious

    and i'm gonna check them all, i'm hungry

    edit: wow i checked, i'll have to save a lot if i want to get all the nihon budo taikei and zenshű volumes
    Last edited by durandal; 4th March 2010 at 14:41.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Washington State, USA
    Posts
    3,324
    Likes (received)
    48

    Default

    In English, articles by William Bodiford, John Rogers, and Harold Bolitho are worth finding. Budo Perspectives, by Alexander Bennett and Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan, edited by Alex Bennett, are also very useful.

    In French, track down Henri Plee's material from the 1950s. It's dated, but not as much as you'd expect. Budokwai Quarterly Bulletin, also from the 1940s and 1950s, is even more valuable (though primarily for mid-century judo).

    Ellis Amdur's three books provide a nice discussion of the development of the various aiki-budo.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31
    Likes (received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Svinth View Post
    In English, articles by William Bodiford, John Rogers, and Harold Bolitho are worth finding. Budo Perspectives, by Alexander Bennett and Jigoro Kano and the Kodokan, edited by Alex Bennett, are also very useful.

    In French, track down Henri Plee's material from the 1950s. It's dated, but not as much as you'd expect. Budokwai Quarterly Bulletin, also from the 1940s and 1950s, is even more valuable (though primarily for mid-century judo).

    Ellis Amdur's three books provide a nice discussion of the development of the various aiki-budo.
    thank you too, Joseph

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    The Old Dominion
    Posts
    1,590
    Likes (received)
    3

    Default

    If you want to get more replies, you might try directly contacting some of the koryu scholars who no longer post here. Meik Skoss has been very helpful the few times that I've emailed him with questions (you can find him occasionally over at Swordforum). Also, you might consider tracking down a copy of David Hall's dissertation; not only is it more than worth reading on its own, but the citations would give you a huge number of good Japanese-language sources.
    David Sims

    "Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

    My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31
    Likes (received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DDATFUS View Post
    If you want to get more replies, you might try directly contacting some of the koryu scholars who no longer post here. Meik Skoss has been very helpful the few times that I've emailed him with questions (you can find him occasionally over at Swordforum). Also, you might consider tracking down a copy of David Hall's dissertation; not only is it more than worth reading on its own, but the citations would give you a huge number of good Japanese-language sources.
    thank you too, i'll get a try on David Hall's dissertation

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nagoya, Japan
    Posts
    522
    Likes (received)
    31

    Default

    Just some friendly advice. If you do contact folks like Meik Skoss or Karl Friday, don't take it amiss if they don't respond to your message in 24 hours, and repeatedly email them. Sometimes people will read a message, but wait until they have the time and references for a proper reply.

    Other authors to look for: Imamura Yoshio, and Yagyu Toshinaga.
    Josh Reyer

    Swa sceal man don, ■onne he Št gu­e gengan ■ence­ longsumne lof, na ymb his lif ceara­. - The Beowulf Poet

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31
    Likes (received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Reyer View Post
    Just some friendly advice. If you do contact folks like Meik Skoss or Karl Friday, don't take it amiss if they don't respond to your message in 24 hours, and repeatedly email them. Sometimes people will read a message, but wait until they have the time and references for a proper reply.

    Other authors to look for: Imamura Yoshio, and Yagyu Toshinaga.
    that's a good advice indeed, thanks !

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Saitama Pref., Japan
    Posts
    33
    Likes (received)
    0

    Question

    A former Saitama University Assistant Professor, Shioiri Sensei, may be able to
    give some information but he may be in between returning to Japan and his
    recent stay in South America. I will try to confirm his address and if I can contact him, will ask his help for you. (Il parle bien le Francais.) Pamela Hval

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    31
    Likes (received)
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by P. Hval View Post
    A former Saitama University Assistant Professor, Shioiri Sensei, may be able to
    give some information but he may be in between returning to Japan and his
    recent stay in South America. I will try to confirm his address and if I can contact him, will ask his help for you. (Il parle bien le Francais.) Pamela Hval
    That's a great news! thank you too

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •