Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Seminars and koryu kenjutsu

Likes (received)

I thought about replying to this as a PM but decided it's probably better if everyone can see it for the sake of info;

Kuroda sensei has a lot of students both in Japan and abroad. But basically, you don't hear much from anyone because once you join training with him you're not allowed to talk about the art. It's fairly secretive but I think the point of the rule is more to uphold the reputation and keep people behaving nicely. As for who trains in the Kuroda ryu-gi, basically you have to be personally approved by Kuroda sensei to begin training. There are a few study groups in the US and I think one in Paris as well, other than that, the main dojo is in Saitama (Near Tokyo) and there are 2 other keikokai elsewhere in Tokyo and Kansai.

I think the videos and all of his 秘伝 (Hiden) magazine articles are for information purposes only, if you want to study Kaishin ryu or any of the other things taught at the Shinbukan dojo you have to study it under him directly, and new techniques may only be demonstrated to students by him. It's a pretty tightly run ship. I train at the honbu dojo in Saitama and the people are all fantastic and helpful and friendly there. I think I'm the only foreigner though.

Quote Originally Posted by ichibyoshi View Post
    A really interesting case in point would be Kuroda Tetsuzan's various family ryu which all seem to have a very distinct movement style, unlike any other koryu. And yet he seems to pop up everywhere doing demos and releasing DVDs. He's very popular. I'm curious as to who is actually practicing his style(s). It certainly seems that a lot of people would like to, but that there isn't much chance of that happening unless you live in Japan. So are people just doing workshops and watching videos? Thing is, you'd have a hard time studying his Tamiya Ryu Iaijutsu plus just about any other kind of iai concurrently without contamination. Same goes for his kenjutsu.

More questions than answers as usual...

b
    Cory Burke
    ゴゴゴ!

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by ichibyoshi View Post
    OTOH I wouldn't consider it 'cross-training' for any of the Hayashizaki-descendant koryu (MSR, MJER, Hoki, Mugai, Suio, etc) to, um, check in (?) with each other as I imagine both the similarities and differences between them would be instructive for individuals of each ryu.
    Sorry for the off topic-ness but as this is a pet peeve of mine, in the case of Katayama Hoki-ryu I very much would consider it cross training as if the ryu was influenced by anything it was Takeuchi-ryu. Hayashizaki Jinsuke never appears anywhere in the thousands of pages of documents surviving in the art (where names are named) and the claim that the founder was student of Hayashizaki appears to have developed outside of the ryu (the years don't really match either). I won't even begin to go into the lack of technical cross over. As an aside, there is at least one other major "Hayashizaki student" ryu out there where if you talk to members of the ryu itself they will say "rubbish" to the claim as well.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion on the merits of seminars.
    Rennis Buchner

3. Likes Bruce Mitchell liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2