Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Itto Tenshin Katori Shinto Ryu Video

Likes (received)

Used a little google fu, but couldn't come up with much on Lovret's Tenshin ryu. Apparently they are shy due to lots of past hammering.
    Did come up with one video though. ... tenshin ryu kumitachi
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Thanks Paul, This is what I was looking for.

Though it only shows one kata, what do you guys think of the techniques?

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wood View Post
    I think that they are using long bokken. No word yet on the paper cutting.
    David Sims

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - Terry Pratchet

My opinion is, in all likelihood, worth exactly what you are paying for it.

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Judge View Post
    Ugh. As festooned with qualifications as this statement is, it still kind of makes me wince.
    Sorry, Cliff... I was trying to find a way to diplomatically say "I wonder which system they've watched a video or two of and decided to try to copy?"

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Wood View Post
    Thanks Paul, This is what I was looking for.

There was technique?
    With Respect,
    Chris Parker.

兵法二天一流剣術 Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    天真正伝香取神道流兵法 Tenshinsho Den Katori Shinto Ryu (https://www.facebook.com/MelbKoryuKenjutsuKeikoKai/)
    熟練道場武道兵法 Jukuren Dojo Budo Heiho (www.budomelbourne.com)

Likes (received)

It is only one short kumitachi, so it is almost impossible to form any sort of opinion. However, considering the fact that uchidachi is supposed to be a senior level instructor in the art, I am very unimpressed with the quality of his movement.
    Paul Smith

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by pgsmith View Post
    considering the fact that uchidachi is supposed to be a senior level instructor in the art,
    Are you saying this based on factual knowledge of tenshin-ryu or are you just assuming they train the way less, ah, nuveau schools do? In the aikiken I practice, there is no uchi / shi breakdown and both partners take turns. We also do all our kata three steps apart like these guys. Just sayin'.

Likes (received)

Are you saying this based on factual knowledge of tenshin-ryu or are you just assuming they train the way less, ah, nuveau schools do? In the aikiken I practice, there is no uchi / shi breakdown and both partners take turns. We also do all our kata three steps apart like these guys. Just sayin'.
    Neither. I'm saying that based on the fact that uchidachi is identified as being William Maren, who is described on their web site as follows ...
    "He is now a student and instructor of the Tenshin-ryu, a style of Japanese swordsmanship, and the Yamate-ryu, a system of aikijutsu. Mr. Maren holds senior level license in both of these arts."

While I don't know what a 'senior level license' is in their art, I would expect him to move with a sword much better than he shows in the brief movements of the aforementioned kumitachi.
    Paul Smith

Likes (received)

I would expect him to move with a sword much better than he shows in the brief movements of the aforementioned kumitachi.
    Indeed. Laboured.

Is there some kind of rule that the higher the dodgy factor in a Ryu, the better their dojo is?
    Mat Rous

Likes (received)

Neither. I'm saying that based on the fact that uchidachi is identified as being William Maren, who is described on their web site as follows ...
    "He is now a student and instructor of the Tenshin-ryu, a style of Japanese swordsmanship, and the Yamate-ryu, a system of aikijutsu. Mr. Maren holds senior level license in both of these arts."

While I don't know what a 'senior level license' is in their art, I would expect him to move with a sword much better than he shows in the brief movements of the aforementioned kumitachi.
    Okay, understood.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2