Likes Likes:  0

Thread: St.Louis... is ther anything here??????

Likes (received)

Default St.Louis... is ther anything here??????

Hello E-budo members i am new and after doing tae kwon do, with some very basic weapons training many years ago i am interested in iaido, or kenjutsu (or even kendo if nothing else is available).

I read in another forum Dave Lowry was in the St.Louis area. As of 2013 is there any current iaido or kenjutsu schools in the st.louis area?? If Mr. Lowry is still in the St.Louis area how do i contact him?

Ive talked to the stl kendo people already so i might end up joining them if i cant find an iaido or kentjutsu dojo

Likes (received)

The thing to do would have been to go to the Japanese festival that occured Labor Day weekend at the Missouri Botanical Gardens. You could have asked him yourself as he does a demonstration there every year, and is heavily involved in the festival. I've no contact information for him, but you may be able to get a lead by talking to the St. Louis Aikikai.
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

There's a new MJER study group in St Louis. Their web site:
    http://www.stl-iaikai.org/home.html
    Emily Egan
    www.clear-lake-iaido.com

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Valscorn View Post
    ...If Mr. Lowry is still in the St.Louis area how do i contact him?
    Dave Lowry is a member here at E-Budo, although he isn't very active lately. You may still be able to search his name in the Members list and send him a PM.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Thank you for your help everyone, Emily i contacted the Stl Iaikai school and am now waiting for a response. Their website says can take 48-72 hours so i just have to be patient now. Also will try to make contact with Mr. lowry. Again thank you everyone.

Likes (received)

Mr. Lowry teaches both Shinto Muso ryu as well Shinkage ryu. If you are unable to reach via PM please let me know I may be able to provide your contact information.

Jeff
    Jeff Brown

Likes (received)

Not listed for kendo at AUSKF but google yields: http://www.stlkendo.com/index.html

Not much information there but the photo looks like the typical small recreational club.
    Neil Gendzwill
    Saskatoon Kendo Club

Likes (received)

After my first class i can say it was awesome. Small school with great people and an awesome instructor, who was extemely patient in teaching me. It is harder than it looks, after doing my first form for most of the class period i was exahausted. I have a ton to learn and i am extemely excited to go back. Again thank you Emily and other E budo members for your help in finding a school. I can see this art being far more rewarding than any black belt i gained in the past. All thats left is were do i buy a hakama

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Valscorn View Post
    ...All thats left is were do i buy a hakama
    As the moderator for the Clothing and Supplies sub-forum, this question is right up my alley!

My favorite hakama maker, Bujin Design, is out of business, but several others I have delt with over the years are still around. Here's a sampling:

http://www.e-bogu.com/Iaidogi-Iaido-Uniform-s/62.htm

http://www.tozandoshop.com/hakama-s/448.htm

http://www.budo-aoi.com/index.php?ma...76a65da8ff9c28

Before you buy, though, talk to your sensei or one of the sempai to make sure you're getting the appropriate uniform. For instance, in Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido (at least at the Seattle Muso Kai) we wore black hakama and black kimono/hakamashita, while at Seiki Kai (aiki toho) we wore blue hakama with white uwagi, and in Kendo and many koryu kenjutsu schools it is customary to wear blue hakama with blue uwagi.

You'll also want advice on getting the right fit if you haven't worn hakama before.

HTH.
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---