Likes Likes:  0

Thread: References on Anazawa ryu and Suzuka ryu

Likes (received)

Default References on Anazawa ryu and Suzuka ryu

Dear all,

Im looking for references (books, articles in books, etc.) in Japanese on Anazawa ryu and Suzuka ryu.

Any hint would be appreciated!

Thanks,
    Micha
    Michael Reinhardt

Likes (received)

I used to make some notes on different schools whenever I read about them but these notes are brief, so nothing you probably dont know:

Anazawa-ryu: sogo bujutsu (mainly naginata and bo) founded around 1580 by Anazawa Tonomonosuke Morihide, himself student of Katori Shinto-ryu but later also Isshin ryu (bojutsu)

Suzuka-ryu: according to Ellis Amdur, a powerful and dynamic naginata school but discontinued (last soke was Sakurade Tomi)

So you better ask Ellis, since I forgot where I took these notes from.
    Guy Buyens
    Hontai Yoshin Ryu (本體楊心流)
    BELGIAN BRANCH http://www.hontaiyoshinryu.be/

Likes (received)

the naginata renmei has a film from the mid-1960's of fifteen naginata (or sogo-bujutsu using naginata) schools. It was kept in a safe in the main-office. I was only able to see it due to the order of a very powerful member (Higashi sensei of Jikishinkage-ryu). The film was 16mm, on a huge reel, and when I tried to view it, found that it was folded over and twisted. I unspooled the entire thing and respooled it. For all I know, it is very possibly still buried in the safe, never watched again. OTOH, perhaps it has been transferred to DVD. Anyway, there was film of Suzuka-ryu (really wonderful) - Sakurada sensei made her only student hamon. She died without a successor. Anazawa-ryu was also on the tape - that faction, at least, was very disappointing - Two women wrapped in kimono, without hakama, so their legs were bound. Their techniques were closer to kembu than anything else. Certainly not the Anazawa-ryu of the Aizu-Joshitai in the Boshin senso. Of the other ryu on the tape: TSKSR, Kashima Shinto-ryu, Araki-ryu, Yoshin-ryu, Tendo-ryu, Jikishinkage-ryu, Suio-ryu, Toda-ha Buko-ryu, Muhen-ryu, Chokugen-ryu, Seiwa-ryu (a revived school). Higo Ko-ryu and one more which I cannot recall.

Likes (received)

Dear Mr.Amdur,

thanks for your reply and the information. I remember you once posted them in another forum.

With main office you mean the one in Hyogo? Maybe we should give it a try to rediscover that film.

Best,
    Michael Reinhardt
    Michael Reinhardt

Likes (received)

Actually, it was in an office in Yoyogi, if I recall correctly. Perhaps after all this time, they transferred it to DVD - but given the attitudes I encountered there, it may still be in the safe, deteriorating. I wonder what the best approach would be to them. I've got an idea - if you are interested, pvt mail would be better.