Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sword drawing

Likes (received)

Dear Josh Reyer,

I didnt mean what I saw in that particular clip was all pre destined in absolute sense. But in so many practises it might occur that way when the mind is not set straight. I am perfectly aware of the didactical side of what you tried to explain I have no knowledge about in your eyes, actually I have came in contact with this kind of training for some short periods and appreciate it on other grounds. So be it, but I guess your first remarks are equally biased when I try to point out that in the moving standing paired excercise i felt more practical sense in response in therms of true feeling related to jyu kumitachi or better to say interaction between humans, though i am aware that example is not even close to jyu kumitachi. Because both have arrangements and within the lines there is flexibility wether its about timing, suki or distancing the challenge is within certain boundaries. If that is kata methology or not or indeed interpretable from more angles was not the main essence of my earlier post. That discussion for me is as relevant as how good you are at armwrestling while prepraring for a streetfight. Quite absurd I hope you understand.

Anyway dont feel hurt if I do not understand you, I truly dont feel hurt that you do not agree with my point of view either.
    All i was hoping for was to find someone who could appreciate video one as i do on earlier mentioned grounds without biggering what is a better practise. If you think your iaido will be complete with the type of training you defend so be it.
    It would be interesting to start the discussion if there is a feeling of openess to eachothers ideas instead of lecturing me about the historical meaning of kata inside koryu, for lecturing I can reread the book legacies of the sword for example. But again not my point. I would be interested if you have experience in a sitting form where there is absolute freedom of movement from both sides? And also practised on various speeds.

Kind regards,

jeroen

Likes (received)

Wow, who is this Fumon Tanaka guy? That whole clip is a bunch of wasted movement and unsettled body mechanics. At least it looks that way to me. I may be missing something. Maybe this was an attempt to make some cinematic / theatrical-looking demonstration?

I wouldn't even put that in the same galaxy as Hayashizaki ryu, those guys don't waste a heartbeat and they could cut a piece of paper in half along its width.

There was a video posted here a couple of years ago that was taken off of youtube fairly quickly, of someone who had formally trained in Kage ryu. He had an exceptionally long chokuto and he just drew it out like blam, there you go. It was astonishing to watch, I found myself trying to watch it frame by frame and I could still not parse how the entire sword was clearing the saya.

Likes (received)

I agree with you Cliff, the Hayashizaki ryu clip is much superior all around.
    The Kage ryu clip was from Watkin sensei, who is still a moderator here but doesn't comment as much as I'd like. Perhaps we can convince him to post it back up for us?
    Paul Smith
    "Always keep the sharp side and the pointy end between you and your opponent"

Likes (received)

Colin brought his monster blade to the UK many years ago, and treated us to a demo along with conch horn blowing and signalling... I still kick myself I didnt video it, but still have the matching bokken which I torment my juniors with when they complain they cant draw a 'normal length' blade
    I think what surprised me most was that although it was heavy, it still had a great feel and balance to it. drawing it certainly rubbed in the fact you need to move the hips A LOT!!!
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew S View Post
    Here's Ostuyama drawing a nodachi (he first draws the wakizashi and throws it to buy time to draw the nodachi). Interestingly enough, this comes from Tanaka Fumon's book 宮本武蔵と剣豪たちの剣法.

Lol they are quite old. That's Otsuyama's 3.7. Looks like Mihashira Jinja. A few more on www.hyoho.com/Nkage1.html

Blades with me look relatively smaller.
    Hyakutake Colin

All the best techniques are taught by survivors.

http://www.hyoho.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2