Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Oishi Shinkage Ryu

Likes (received)

Default Oishi Shinkage Ryu

I am looking for information about Oishi Shinkage Ryu (大石神影流), both its history and information regarding the people practicing it today.

Some unsourced websites claim the school was founded by Oishi Susumu (大石進) in Yanagawa-han and gained fame in Edo by both the founder and his son of the same name. They each supposedly defeated some reknowned kenshi using extremely long bokken (5shaku +). Based on both the kanji used (影 vs. 陰), the geographic location of the school, and the use of long swords my first thought was it must be related to the Kage Ryu Choken Battojutsu of the Tachibana clan, but I have not seen a single direct reference to this. I am curious if this history is true, if there is a connection to the aforementioned Kage Ryu or if it is just a series of coincidences, and also if the ryu practiced under the name Oishi Shinkage Ryu today is one and the same (a group called the Kan'oukan).

The school was supposedly later transmitted in Tosa-han by the Higuchi brothers. It is common knowledge that Oe Masamichi of Tosa's Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu was a kendo teacher and I have been told by my teacher that he had a background in Shinkage Ryu kendo/kenjutsu. This Shinkage Ryu influence lends itself to the techniques and the naming of a specific variation of MJER's paired waza called In Ryu (陰流), an alternative reading of Kage Ryu. I have not been able to find any exact information regarding exactly what kendo Oe sensei studied, only unsourced conjecture, and my teacher does not know for sure. Although the internet's version of history seems to make the Oishi Shinkage Ryu connection likely, the use of different kanji, the vast number of Shinkage Ryu offshoots, and the general unreliability of the internet makes me question if I'm headed in the right direction.

If anybody has information or recommended reads in either English or Japanese I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
    無雙直傳英信流・日本古武道居合研究会 - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu ・ Nihon Kobudo Iai Kenkyukai
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

hi Eric,
    a quick search gave me this! Quite an interesting read, so thanks for prompting me to look!
    http://kanoukan.web.fc2.com/english/...oto/index.html

I am sure I have seen the name of Oe sensei's kendo teacher somewhere.... I reckon Pasi will come to your rescue, his memory is far better than mine!
    Tim Hamilton

Why are you reading this instead of being out training? No excuses accepted...

Likes (received)

Was looking @ that website last night!!! They have a branch in Yokohama area!!! Might be worth a look!!!
    Jeff Collier

Likes (received)

It seems I missed a very recent thread about Oishi Shinkage Ryu in a different subforum (link). My apologies, I must have only searched Sword Arts the first time.

Colin Watkin's comments there clear up that, although both Kage Ryu and Oishi Shinkage Ryu share their origins in Yanagawa, they are unrelated. It's also nice to know that the school was active up to the last generation, although I am still curious about the veracity of the Kan'oukan. Hopefully Morimoto Kunio did indeed learn from Oishi Eiichi instead of the later's daughter.

I'm also still curious about the possible connection to Tosa, Oe Masamichi, and In Ryu. Any further information would be appreciated.
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

I got fed up with the internet and went and found some books. Regarding Oe Masamichi's martial arts training, in his book Chi-no-Maki Masaoka Katsutane lists the following:

神影流剣道 Shinkage Ryu Kendo
    Studied under 馬詰好三 (Umazume Kouzou (?))

長谷川英信流居合 Hasegawa Eishin Ryu Iai
    Studied under 五藤正亮 (Gotou Masaji)

英信流棒術
    Studied under 板垣退助 (Itagaki Taisuke)
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Spinelli View Post
    ...英信流棒術...
    If I'm reading this correctly, it says "Eishin Ryu Bojutsu."
    Yours in Budo,
    ---Brian---

Likes (received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Owens View Post
    If I'm reading this correctly, it says "Eishin Ryu Bojutsu."
    Oops. Forgot to translate that part. You're correct. When I asked my teacher wasn't clear if this was just a different appellation for Itabashi Ryu Bojutsu, a derivative of it, or something different, though his guess was one of the former two.
    東京蘆洲会 - Tokyo Roshukai