Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FYA - Scott Shaw on Iaido

Likes (received)

Default FYA - Scott Shaw on Iaido

FYA - For Your Amusement

A few weeks ago someone who knew I did Iaido gave me a copy of the 2002 January issue of Martial Arts & Combat Sports magazine which had an article by Scott Shaw on Kumdo, a Korean sword form. I donít know the first thing about Kumdo, and thus canít address the accuracy of the article on that subject, but in a section of the article he compares Kumdo & Iaido and has some funny things to say about Iaido that I thought the rest of you might find as amusing as I did. I showed this to my sensei and fellow Eishin Ryu students, -- their reactions ranged from shocked disbelief to uncontrollable hilarity. Here are some gems:

"In Japanese Iaido, which is also a modern martial style adapted from ancient applications, all of the techniques are based in metaphysical reasoning."

"The Iaido practitioner, on the other hand, views the sword as an extension of his soul, not of his body."

Perhaps there are some styles of Iaido that agree with Mr. Shaw, but the above is quite contrary to the particular ryu (MJER) I belong to.

--Emily Egan
    www.clear-lake-iaido.com
    Emily Egan
    www.clear-lake-iaido.com

Likes (received)

Hello Emily,

I just visited your website and left a very short note in your Guestbook. A nice start, but you really need some "eye candy."

Cheers,
    Guy
    Guy H. Power
    Kenshinkan Dojo

Likes (received)

Emily,

Welcome to E-budo! BTW, E-Budo HQ is located in Webster, Texas, just a few miles from you. I have lived in Clear Lake since 1963 .
    John Lindsey

Oderint, dum metuant-Let them hate, so long as they fear.

Likes (received)

Hi Guy,
    Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to visit my site, and leave an entry in the guest book. The color scheme (black & white) and the layout is deliberate,-- I wanted the site design to reflect something of the art itself. The result may be a bit boring (no animation, flashy lights, or colorful graphical backgrounds), but it will load quickly. And yes, there are photos, lots of them, but you have to start clicking on links to find them.
    Thanks again for writing.
    --Emily
    Emily Egan
    www.clear-lake-iaido.com

Likes (received)

Hi,

Scott Shaw put out a book (Samurai Zen) a while back with some very.. um.. interesting photo sequences of iai. Don't waste your money but if you are at the book store and feeling depressed give it a look, it will raise your spirits or possibly your anger.

will
    will szlemko
    Shoshin Ryu

Only Robinson Crusoe had his work done by Friday.

Likes (received)

Default kumdo

Ah, kumdo! One suspects any traditional Korean sword arts are long gone, that kumdo is a modern sythesis. This from very subtle answers from my Korean TKD GM, when queried on the subject.

A grunt, a wooden stare, and "Go use the heavy bag." I.E. don't ask stupid questions. It would be interesting to read what Mr. Shaw has to say on the subject, if I was inclined to read MA magazines.
    joe yang, the three edged sword of truth

"Not going to be fooled by you again Joe Yang's right you are evil and self-serving." Haiyomi

"Give my regards to joe yang. very intelligent man." Sojobow

Likes (received)

Hi Emily,

Congratulations on your site. Very nice. This post would probably be better in 'Language' but as we started discussing your website, I'll continue. At the head of your page, you have the kanji for MJER Iaido:

Whereas I thought the kanji for MJER is :

It's the 2nd and 4th characters that elude me.

Anyone clarify this?

Scott
    Scott Halls
    Hyoho Niten Ichi Ryu Kenjutsu - Muso Jikiden Eishin Ryu Iai
    兵法二天一流剣術 - 無双直伝英信流居合

Kit LeBlanc Guest

Default Simplified...

In yours, the 2d and 4th characters are the simplified versions.